A few weeks ago I made a 10″ magic fairy door and I used the block to make a 14″ pillowcase. The quilting process started having a mind of its own and I was happy to oblige.
My original idea was to hand quilt everything. There was one problem – my stitches are still in the medium size range and the leaves looked horrible and clunky instead of small and delicate. I have done free motion quilting only once and that was probably a couple of years ago. So I took a deep breath, removed the little hand quilting I had done and started free motion quilting the vines and the leaves. As usual, my fear proved unjustified. Since I can adjust the speed of the pedal of my machine, it went rather smoothly. I am happy with the way the quilting turned out, even with the smattering of imperfections here and there.
Once the machine quilting was done, I started hand quilting the door. I think the hand quilting makes the door stand out from the surrounding vines and leaves. Toward the end, I started stitching along the border with my walking foot. Then another idea came to my head – alternate the border with machine and hand quilting and alternate the thread colour as well.
This is the first time I also decided to bind my pillowcase. It’s a woodland fairy door, so what else would I use but a brown binding to go with the light mossy green border. The finished pillow now resides in my husband’s room. Hopefully he will not be subject to naughty fairy shenanigans!